Specialization in Design Thinking and Innovation
Break through your messiest business problems. Find valuable insights hidden in plain sight. Set new standards for your teams and lead your organization and career to new heights.
Darden’s new Specialization in Design Thinking and Innovation empowers you to become a creative catalyst with a systemic approach to innovation in the workplace. Whether you work in business, healthcare, education, or for a nonprofit, this hands-on training in the core principles of design thinking and leadership will help you solve your business challenges. Led by Darden’s world-renowned faculty and incorporating cutting-edge insight from the Batten Institute for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, this program is designed to give you the leadership tools to broaden and deepen your work and to teach you the how-to of design thinking.
ACCELERATE YOUR SKILLS
Learn new ways to use design thinking to solve your biggest challenges.
- Adopt a lean, human-centered design mindset, and upskill your experience
- Position yourself and act as a forward-thinking leader in your organization
- Build the self and employee management skills that allow innovation to flourish
- Break mental models to discover opportunities that already exist within your organization
- Conserve resources and generate better outcomes using a research-based approach to problem-solving
- Surface, define, and refine viable ideas quickly so that you spend less time and brainpower on stalled ideas
- Share cross-departmental insights that break down silos, trigger collaboration, and increase organizational momentum
- Use a step-by-step process for solving your most pressing challenges, whether they be increased visibility for new products, improved resource allocation, or honing your ability to inspire and help the customer you most want to serve
DESIGN THINKING PART I: INSIGHTS TO INSPIRATION
In this project-based course, you will identify a human-centered problem that you want to solve. We’ll guide you through crafting and carrying out a research plan that helps you answer the question, “What is?” You will gather and identify important insights about the needs and wants of others, and use this information to identify the attributes of an ideal solution.
DESIGN THINKING PART II: IDEAS TO ACTION
This course helps you bring the ideas you developed in Part I to action. We start this course by asking, “What if?” We’ll use brainstorming in a new and creative way to generate solutions to your challenge, and then learn to take those raw ideas and synthesize them into important concepts. By asking, “What wows?” and “What works?” you will learn to move from ideation to experimentation.
ADVANCED DISCOVERY TOOLS
In this course, you will learn to use tools from the field of human-centered design: stakeholder mapping, journey mapping, personas, value-chain analysis, the job-to-be-done, ethnographic interviews, and more. Learn to connect with your customers on a human level, to get beyond what they say and observe what they do.
THE INNOVATIVE WORKPLACE
This course shows you how to build a workplace culture that makes innovation the norm. A panel of thought leaders shows you how to assess and ready yourself to foster and lead innovative teams, to prime these teams for this new approach, and to harness the power of your social networks to drive innovation.